I’ve had a lot of questions in the office on “fast” low carb or paleo snacks. Here are a few that came to mind pretty quickly.
1. Hard Boiled Eggs (eat as many as you want in a day) – also good with avocado
2. Deli meat (pick your favorite) – with cream cheese, roll into cigar shape and cut into pinwheels
3. Ants on a log, celery, raisins, and almond butter (almond butter is better then peanut butter as far as the carbs – We like “Tree of Life” brand)
4. Fruit (any except bananas, which have a high glycemic index) – to make this more satifying and filling, eat with heavy whipping cream
5. Cheese and butter – good all day long!
6. Use a cookie cutter for cheese and deli meats
7. Slim jims
8. Plain, whole Greek yogurt (has higher protein content) with berries (strawberries, blueberries, etc.)
9. Make a shake out of plain greek yogurt, heavy whipping cream, and fruit or protein powder (vanilla or chocolate)
10. Veggies and ranch dressing.
11. Dill pickles
12. Bacon, Bacon and Bacon (throw on a paper towel and microwave for 2 minutes – depending on the amount
13. Also, nuts (except peanuts, which are a legume). Almonds, cashews, macadamia, pecans, etc. A great snack food. Make sure the nuts are size appropriate for the child, depending on age. If ever in doubt, chop them up.
14. Cocoa powder in whole milk is a great idea. We also use whey protein mix. Should only have 1 gram of carb per serving. Sometimes needs a small blender or hand mixer. Sometimes we throw in some heavy cream to add a normal saturated dietary fat (Omega-3, yeah!)
For drinks, we use water, whole milk, unsweetened iced tea (with or without lemon)